Ecology in the heart of Marbella
Arboretum Marbella is an Environmental Resources Area.
Its mission is to constitute a public space for the environmental literacy of citizens, oriented to sustainability. To this end, it tries to welcome its visitors in a stimulating, aesthetically attractive and suggestively didactic environment. It has a conservation garden of trees and shrubs of native species of the region of Malaga and a habitat restoration area (Alcornocal), which is incorporated into the city as a green space, integrating the community and promoting citizen participation through various proposals and activities. It is a pedagogical space, with educational and informative purposes, which contributes significantly to environmental education and promotes information and knowledge, through the development of research, courses, publications, workshops, guided tours and a point of awareness and knowledge of our environment.
Our gardens are aimed at :
- To create in Marbella a green space with value for the environment, citizens and tourism.
- Constitute a tool for ARA environmental literacy and education for sustainability.
- Restoration of natural habitats and biological conservation (Red natura 2000 - Directive 92/43/CEE).
- Restoration and development of a biological corridor.
- Creation of green jobs.
- Conservation gardening training.
- Restoration of the natural and cultural values of the population (ethnobotany and ethnoecology).
- Promotion of environmental education, leisure and socio-cultural activities.
- One of the priorities of this sylvetum is to conserve the 131 native plant species of the Malaga region. It consists of trees, shrubs, herbaceous and climbers; in total, about 17,800 specimens, belonging to 92 different genera and, in turn, 47 different families, which generate a living collection and a space for the conservation of biodiversity in the area and a genetic reserve of this flora.
Where we are located
We are located in the Trapiche Norte area of the city of Marbella,
1.5 kilometers from the center of Marbella and 600 meters from the Portillo bus station.
Avenida Diego Jiménez Lima, 51